“The Time Is Always Right To Do What Is Right.”
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
In Honor Of Juneteenth Month
This year Mostyn Law is honoring Juneteenth as a firm-wide holiday and giving the staff a day off on June 18, 2021, to celebrate this important day in history.
Juneteenth, also known as Freedom Day, Jubilee Day, Liberation Day or Emancipation Day is an annual holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the United States. It was on this day, June 19, 1865 when Union Soldiers arrived in Galveston, Texas to deliver the news that slavery was abolished, despite President Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation that occurred two and a half years prior on January 1, 1863.
Today, and always, this holiday is about celebrating Black culture, history and life, bringing people together to honor all those who came before us and fought for the rights and privileges we hold today. Juneteenth gives us the opportunity to support, appreciate and educate through a host of activities. Here are a few ways for us to use this time to reflect and educate ourselves on this historic holiday.
Resources & Ideas:
Educational: Origin of Juneteenth
- The Buffalo Soldier Museum Buffalo Soldier Museum
- The Houston Museum of African American Culture HMAAC
- BLCK Market Houston – Juneteenth Celebration
- 41st Annual Pan-African Cultural Festival
- Heritage Society Juneteenth Weekend Fun
- Houston businesses like BLCK Market highlight
- I am Not Your Negro (Netflix / Amazon Prime)
- 12 Years A Slave (Hulu)
- Do The Right Thing
- Malcolm X
- 13TH (Netflix)
- Detroit (Hulu)
- Amistad (Amazon Prime)
- Mississippi Burning
- When They See Us (Netflix)
- Imitation of Life (1959 Version)
- The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin (Amazon)
- Juneteenth by Ralph Ellison (Amazon)
- How to be an Anti-Racist, Ibram X. Kendi
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi (Amazon)
- All Different Now: Juneteenth, the First Day of Freedom” by Angela Johnson, illustrated by E. B. Lewis (Amazon)
- Juneteenth for Mazie, written and illustrated by Floyd Cooper (Amazon)